Monday 7 September 2009

Stuffed Marrow Recipe




I thought I'd share with you a recipe I've tried today and found delicious! Marrows are often a vegetable I see for sale but think "What on earth can i do with it?" so never bother, but this one was so cheap (50p) i couldn't resist and I am glad I didn't as Stuffed Marrow is wonderful!

I am pretty sure you could swap and change a lot of the ingredients to suit whatever is in season/in your fridge/in your garden, but here is what I did to feed 4;

Stuffed Marrow Recipe

Ingredients;
1 marrow (peeled, de seeded and quartered)
3 carrots (peeled and thinly sliced)
1 onion (peeled & cubed)
1 clove of garlic
knob of butter
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp paprika
2 cups of rice
1 tin of chopped tomatoes (or ready chopped fresh tomatoes)
1/2 pint of stock (chicken or vegetable)
generous helping of grated parmegiano cheese
salt & pepper

Instructions;


  • Once the marrow has been prepared, rub salt in to the flesh and leave to stand while creating the stuffing, this helps remove the bitter taste from it.
  • Cook the rice by boiling a pan of hot water, then adding rice and simmer for 10 minutes.
  • In a skillet/frying pan melt the butter, add the garlic, then add the chopped vegetables to soften them over a gentle heat.
  • After they have gradually softened, add the stock, seasoning, rest of the herbs and the tomatoes and let it simmer to fuse the flavours and cook the vegetables.
  • After 15 or so minutes, add the cooked & drained rice & stir in thoroughly
  • Wash the salt from the marrow quarters then place on a baking tray on top of aluminium foil then spoon the stuffing in to the upturned marrow middles.
  • Sprinkle grated cheese on top
  • Cover loosely with another sheet of aluminium foil and place in a preheated oven at 180 degrees centigrade.
  • Bake for approximately half an hour, then remove the top layer of tin foil to allow the cheese to brown and bake for a further 10-15 minutes until cheese melted and tops turning golden.
  • Serve on own or with salad/veg/rice/pasta side dish (I actually used some of the stuffing that was leftover and stir-fried it with some soy sauce to make an accompaniment)
  • Enjoy!!

As you can see from the above photo, we even got to enjoy it al fresco tonight as the weather has taken a sudden shift in to reverse and it's been a glorious 21 degrees and sunshine all day today, it's forecast to last the week too, marvellous!

Thank you for the well wishes for Daisy too, she seems much improved today and even let me inspect her healing wound without hissing today, so seems we got there just in time with it, she seems more humbled in her usual safari antics across the fields and has only ventured out for a bit then returned home for cuddles & reassurance, but I am pleased she seems happier and in a lot less pain now.

7 comments:

  1. Another success, isn't it great when you try something new and it goes well!
    Very glad to hear Daisy is doing well.
    Like the new header, what a wonderful place to an autumn walk.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa, it is the land behind our house (you can peek it at the top of the pic between the W and the T), not so long ago it was all a colliery/opencast pit, now it's beautiful countryside, hard to believe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi honey! Thanks for your comment on my blog. I'm feeling some better today.

    That stuffed marrow looks really tasty! We will definitely have to try it :D We've been trying a lot of new things food-wise as well lately. I'll have to post some recipes to share. I actually want to add a recipe share section to my blog (and website, assuming I ever get it set up properly!).

    Glad to hear Daisy is feeling better! Its really frightening when they get into a scuffle with something! Isabel's done that a time or two.

    Hope you and the family are doing well! Love to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I swear I commented about your recipe....about it looking fab but me having no clue what marrow is (a kind of squash maybe)?? Must have not taken it all the way through!

    Maybe I posted under Daisy's post as I read about her ordeal the poor thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As someone who has a marrow sitting in her fridge. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete